Thursday 7 November 2013

Assignment Model 2 : TIE Fighter


My second model I decided on using was the TIE fighter, which is another classic ship which is an important part of many scenes, including the one I have decided to animate. 
This ship was considerably easier to model than the X-wing, as it has a much simpler shape and design. To create the wing joins I used splines and lathing to create the general shape, the manipulated the vertices to turn the circular shape into a hexagonal one. On the wings it was simply a case of creating connections and extruding them to the correct size. Creating the center are was a simple matter of moving vertices again to create some properly sized polygons to make the window. 

I didn't learn any new techniques on this ship, rather I built on techniques I used on the X-wing and other models, particularly the splines and lathing  to creathe more interesting shapes than using base primitives.

For accurate sizing and to create the splines I used schematics as before, this time found on google.
This gave me great front and side view, which again gave me great scaling, and allowed me to position the pieces correctly. However this did not give me a top down view which lead a lot of missing detail form the top. 
I feel like my model holds fairly close to a TIE fighter, however I feel like a lot of detail is missing, especially on the center portion, however due to my struggle to find source material I struggled with this are, which would be my main improvement on this ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment